Skip to content

Return to Sedona: Hope & Rope

January 7, 2012

27 December: Thomas’ dad picked me up at my house at 5:50 and we drove in the early morning to Sedona. Our goal: to get back Thomas’ wallet, my ropes and get back in time for work. We drove quickly and were there by about 7:30. We threw some of the climbing gear that was in a disastrous pile from last night in our bags, and started hiking down the same trail. I did not want to go back: I hated Bell Rock. The chute with crumbling rock, the memory of downclimbing in the dark the night before without lights, and the false sense of security from having a paved road in view all the time. Bell Rock could go to hell.

I was not too crazy about heading back there, but I needed the ropes back if I could get them. Plus, we had a lot of daylight, and Mr. Keating keeps things from being to serious usually. Operation Hope & Rope began at the LZ, where we headed one click Northwest to the target.

Mr. Keating and me nearing the chute.

Thomas and I.

After Thomas ripped up his pants the previous night sliding on his butt, I decided to break out the orange Wal-mart work pants, so I didn’t run that risk. Or even if I did run that risk, I wouldn’t care very much.

We started looking for footprints as we neared the chute. We found a couple and followed them. Thomas accidentally had left his chalkbag open the previous night as we descended, so there was a white line down the rocks. I started climbing through some bushes next to a spot that we had slid down. At the bottom of a drop that I had fallen over in the dark, laying in a bush, was Thomas’ wallet. First target acquired. We continued up the chute, and made good time.

We got to the ledge where the ropes were, and I anchored the ends of the ropes on the tree, in case the rope became unstuck. Thomas belayed himself on an ascender, reset the ropes, and abseiled off. I tried to pull the ropes, but they were stuck again. We set up the system again and Thomas climbed it again, and threw the ropes down to us and just downclimbed the pitch free. Second target acquired.

View from the ledge.

Thomas getting ready to climb the pitch.

Thomas climbing.

Thomas belaying.

Thomas climbing and belaying.

Continuing up.

Thomas rappelling.

Mr. Keating

Mr. Keating, like a real mountaineer.

Thomas and his dad.

An attempt at a shot with all three of us.

Thomas and I.

We got back to the LZ, gave our parking pass to a car passing by, and headed back to Phoenix. Operation Hope & Rope was a success. It had been a long two days.

For part one of this trip report: click here.

2 Comments leave one →
  1. January 13, 2012 17:01

    I just want to say I am just all new to blogs and actually liked this blog. Likely I’m likely to bookmark your site . You actually come with fabulous writings. Regards for sharing with us your blog.


  1. Climbing Bell Rock in Sedona « adventure traveling

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: